One of the highlights of preschool so far this year has been being "Star Student" at school. Emma patiently waited for her week to come, and the day her teacher sent home her poster, she insisted we work on it until it was finished. She was so proud of herself! She wrote most of the sentences herself (with me telling her how to spell the words), and covered it up with princess stickers and glittery stars when she was done.
The "growing up too quickly" comes from a conversation Emma and I had on our way home from work/school the other day. I was talking on my cell phone and in the back, I heard Emma chanting, "Lukey has a girlfriend, Lukey has a girlfriend..." This teasing is new territory because I've never heard her tease anyone before, let alone her brother! (I know, I know, it's only the beginning!) As soon as I hung up, we talked about how it isn't nice to tease, etc. and I asked her if I heard her correctly by thinking she had said that Luke has a girlfriend. She said "yeah" and so as I got out of the car to get the mail, I said, "little boys and girls don't have girlfriends and boyfriends...they are just friends with everyone" thinking, that would be the end of it. But no, in response to my comment, without missing a beat, I hear, "Well, Mom... I have a boyfriend and I love him." I contained my smile/laughter just enough to continue the questioning.... she filled me in on her "true love" and I asked why he is the one she thinks is her boyfriend and she said it's because, "he be's the kid when we play house at school." I asked her what you do with a boyfriend and she quickly replied that they were going to fall in love and get married and live in the same house. I asked her where she heard about boyfriends, thinking she'd say from someone at school... but she said she learned about it in "Froggy's Valentine" at school. All the kids were yelling, "Froggy has a girlfriend, Froggy has a girlfriend..." in the story. (At least I figured out where the teasing and boyfriend comments were coming from!!) Ah, kids... she's not even 5 yet... now it's funny, what am I going to do in about 10 years?!
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Growing up too Quickly!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I noticed that Emma has a picture of a bunny on her "star student" poster... :)
She is such a girly girl! I love it! Man, they grow so fast, huh?
Isn't it amazing how your tiny baby girl has grown?!
That's SO funny!! :) At least you figured out the source!
I will never forget my pre-school crush named Jeffery Bird! Funny how we remember things like that!
I love the poster, Emma! So many details. Her writing is better than most of my fourth and fifth graders!!!! She must be a perfectionist. Let's think.... where might she have gotten that trait from? :)
Post a Comment